Monday, April 6, 2009

Curiosity at First Sight

For me, it wasn't love at first sight.





It was curiosity.

It was a rainy spring Sunday afternoon my freshman year of college. It was too early for dinner and too late for a weekend adventure. I was too restless to do homework but felt too gross to workout or get dressed up. When I got the call from some guy friends to meet them for a sandwich, I was dashing down the hall before the dial tone buzzed.

And of course, he was there.

The first thing I thought was that he was a frat boy. He had on a baseball cap, faded jeans, cowboy boots and drove a truck--the Baylor frat boy uniform. The second thing I thought was that I had no make up on and was wearing grubby work out clothes.

Plopping down at the table, we were cordial to each other. As my guy friends plopped down with enough sandwiches to feed an African village, chaos and hilarity ensued. I discovered he wasn't a frat boy; he discovered I was single. With a smile that sparkled and eyes that twinkled, he laughed when I fired off a witty comment and clapped a hand on my shoulder.

"I like this girl," he proclaimed. "She's got spunk."

He might as well have handed me a ring. From that moment, I was hooked. I was completely fascinated by his every word, every expression. I stalked him on instant messenger, nagged my guy friends about him and found reasons to wander over to his dorm's cafeteria at all hours during the day.

I had to know about him. I had to learn everything. I wanted to know where he was from, what he wanted to do, about his dreams and about his realities. And every bit of information I learned made me want to learn more. I had never been so curious about someone in my life. He was the one person I couldn't figure out right away, couldn't analyze or understand after a few minutes.

Little did I know he was just as hooked on me. While I was busy prancing around his dorm, he was making sure none of my guy friends wanted to date me.

Prancing around his dorm turned into drives around town and late night dinners that led to a delirious 4 a.m. conversation where he asked me to be his girlfriend. Later, I once asked him when he knew he liked me.

"When I first saw you," he said. "You were so elegant and simple. No make up, comfortable clothes and totally confident. You were funny, smart and cute as all hell. You didn't need fancy clothes or all the make up the other girls did."

While I was busy basking in the glow of my own ego, he flashed a grin. "What did you like about me?"

"Simple," I said. "You made me curious. I wanted to know everything about you.”

And six years later, I still don’t know everything.



I’m curious.

18 comments:

K said...

What a sweet post! I love it :) My husband keeps me curious too. I'm always learning new things about him, his amazing experiences before we met, his impact on people he meets today, and how his mind works. It's a wonderful thing, curiosity, in a marriage!

Unknown said...

This story is simply too sweet. The way he said he liked you without all the usual trappings, geesh! What every woman would love to hear!

Susan said...

Great post! Curiosity is definately part of a relationship! My husband is so laid back and doesn't open up much at first, and he's a cop. We first met through a mutual friend - she invited him and his buddy to a cocktail party I was having and I called him the wrong name ALL night. He never proceeded to correct me because he said it was the cutest thing ever. Shit, the next day I was just curious about what the heck his real name was!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

That is the sweetest story!! awwwww!!

Pearl said...

this is soooo cute.

i hope that one day i can gush with curiosity about my husband, too. ONE day! :)

Pearl said...

but really - with all of the disrespectful marriages that i see... you two give me hope.

Missty said...

Awesome story! My husband says it was love at first sight for him. Problem is, I didn't even realize we had met 2 months before I thought we did. oops. lol But, when I "thought" I met him, I really knew I wanted to get to know him more.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I wish my husband was that sweet...although he did say when we were dating, "you are amazing!"

I wrapped that up and held it close for a LONG time...

I am sad to admit that curiousity is what kept me interested in ANY relationship...I'm that fickle! :) lol!

valerie said...

It was not love at first site for me. I thought he was obnoxious! lol After we got set up on a official date though, something just clicked. He's still obnoxious sometimes, but he's mine and I love him. lol

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so glad ya'll don't think I'm crazy. And Pearl, it will happen darling! It will !

Misty--You should just tell him you were so blinded with love by him it wiped away your memory. :)

Susan-I call everyone the wrong name. I feel your pain.

Heatherlyn said...

That's a great post!!!

My hubby is still very interesting to me. Maybe that's what makes a marriage work in the very long run, when we are dying to know more about this person and everything we find out is interesting and good. :)

The Nice One said...

so sweet!!!

Mama K said...

You touch my heart. I am so happy you two found each other....and I got the perfect daughter-in-law to boot!

Melinda said...

Great story! And very well written! I love the way you put it, "You made me curious. I wanted to know everything about you." Awesome. Thanks for the smile!

MakingChanges said...

Now that is a fabulous story. So cute. I think it is interesting that we think we have to have all the makeup in our bathroom to make us appealing to the opposite sex but really they like us just as we are (if they truly do- they need to take us as we are, right?).

kathy said...

Awwww, that is just super sweet. Love your writing!

wendy said...

Well,curiosity got you right where/ what you needed. That is cool. I like that he "fell for you" in your au-natural self. That is the best way.

The Blonde Duck said...

Thanks to everyone for reading! :)

WE BELONG