Thursday, April 16, 2009

Selective Hearing Disorder

T. has a special place in my heart because she is from MY home town!!!  I could be in Costco the same time she is and we wouldn't even KNOW it!  T. is a writer that likes to make you feel like you are there WITH her...go check her out on her personal blog at You Asked For It.

I'm hoping it's not just my man...  

(or maybe for the good of the earth it would be great if it WERE just my man)

He suffers (or to be more precise I suffer) from a Selective Hearing Disorder.

Sample Conversation:

Me (after starting the dishwasher and then realizing he just jumped in the shower): "Oh, sorry hon, should I turn off the dishwasher?  I didn't realize you were showering."

Him:  "It's fine"

Me:  "Fine leave it on, or fine turn it off?"

Him:  "I'll turn it on when I jump out."

Me:  "o...kay, then I'll run turn it off"

Him:  "it's already on?"

Me:  "yeah - remember when I said (directly quoted the first part of conversation)"

Him:  "well, just leave it then"

... truly this is SO MINOR that I shouldn't care...  but it's a daily occurrence...  all about minor things.

Is it hearing loss?  Did we go to too many rock concerts while dating?   

Is it that men tend to go deaf in the range of their wives voices?  Seriously - I think I heard this somewhere once from a substitute choir teacher back in the 80's...  but I don't have any research to  prove it...  

I love him, really - I do... and I would tell him that more often, but he wouldn't hear me anyway :)

15 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Maybe he's just not actively listening because he's thinking of something else...I do that all the time!

"Cookie" said...

I honestly think it's the wife's voice they learn to "not" hear. My husband can hear his phone go off anywhere in the house (and we have a large house) but I can be 15 feet away and it's like I never spoke. But in our house....two can play that game!! :)

Susan said...

Aw heck... I think we ALL do it, right??? You know what you need to do... start throwing in the word "SEX" in between requests...

For example:

"Honey, can you help me "SEX" the garbage out to the curb?"

"Baby, the "SEXY" dishes need to be put away in the "SEX" cupboard."

Seriously, if he turns to make eye contact, then he is so caught.

TisforTonya said...

Susan has a really SEX good suggestion - of course I'll have to be careful to not overuse that... especially when the kids are hanging around :)

and maybe I'll have to start listening less... I'm not very good at tuning things out...

Missty said...

Love this subject!! I live in a house of MEN! And they all have selective hearing and sight!

And Susan. I love the SEX idea. I am so going to use that one! LOL
I can't wait to try it out!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

That SEX idea is a good one because selective hearing is an annoying issue hear...and sometimes it is both of us!

wendy said...

I think we get so busy thinking ahead of what we are going to do or a million other things that we don't really fully involve ourselves in conversations sometimes. Susan was probably a marriage therapist in another life --I sex-ond her idea.

Anjeny said...

T..I don't think it's just your man. My hubby has selective hearings too. See, I can sit right next to him, talking to him about what's coming up and then when the time gets close and I reminded him about the event, he gives me the most puzzled face in the world and then go on and on about how I tend to involve him in things and never bother letting him know...yeah, like whatever!!

But then I'll be in another room scolding one of the kids and he bibes up and tell me I'm hurting his ears from all the yelling. And I think you are so right, the hubbies tend to block out their wives' voices so I like Susan's sex suggestion. I think I'm going to try later today to see how it work.

Great post today T..love it.

MakingChanges said...

Love that! I think I have heard that conversation before...wait, I think I have had that conversation before. Brilliant! Good on ya for sharing.

Unfortunately hearing aids don't work for this hearing ailment. Any suggestions for treatment?

DGB said...

I have no answers for you, but yes, I do this too. The SEX idea is a good one.

Too often I'll ask a question, get distracted with something when I get told the answer, realize I don't know the answer to the question I just asked, but can't ask it again because it will start the whole "selective hearing" conversation that we've had a million times.

Sorry ladies.

TisforTonya said...

okay - so I got neurotic (got?) and did some googling...

the "high tone hearing loss" is not just some thing I made up... so maybe if I speak in a low sexy voice and throw in the word sex or ferrari every once in awhile I can keep his attention?

Melinda said...

Hahaha This is too funny, I think I really am going to try this tonight, because YES of course it happens to me (or my husband?) ALL the time!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Susan...you are a genius...DUH why have I not that of that? But I'm going to lay it out straight here guys...I do this to my husband. He'll be talking to me, and I can totally tune him out, when he gets to the question asking part I'm always like, HUH?

It's truly a gift if you look at it from my point of view! :) lol!

Okay...I also get it dished out to me, just not quite as often!

MakingChanges said...

DGB- glad you can admit it.

Tiffany said...

Nope, not just your man, good for you, bad for us... lol
Every.Single.Time. my husband asks me a question, I'll give him an answer and he'll ask "huh?" UM HELLO? if you asked me a question, why aren't you listening for an answer??? Only seems logical to me.

WE BELONG