Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Little White Lies...

On my first date with Man Of The House (M.O.T.H.) he invited me to a concert.  Will it make me sound too old when I tell you it was a Toad The Wet Sprocket Concert?  No, probably not - it just makes me sound too weird...

Of course, back then he was just known as Q...  heck, it was our first date - I didn't even have a cute name to call him!

So the plan is that he'll pick me up after work, we'll grab a bite to eat and get to the concert with time to spare.  Great plan.

But he's running late...  so he picks up Subway on the way over...  a 6 inch club - with EVERYTHING on it...  

Have I ever mentioned that I hate vegetables?  Okay - amend that... I HATED vegetables... I'm learning...

But this day - on my first date with this cute boy with floppy hair...  I didn't pick them all off.  Mind you, I didn't exactly encourage them to stay within the confines of the bread...  and I might have just knocked off a few onions and cucumbers (hey, I'm allergic!) but I ate the majority of the sandwich and was able to keep a smile on my face.  probably.  maybe.  I even ate the SunChips - even though I'm a traditional potato chip girl...  I actually liked them!  

The rest of the date was typical first date stuff...  will he hold my hand (no), will he kiss me (no), will he ask me out again (eventually)...  

But really, Did I start out the relationship on the wrong foot - is our entire life together based on a lie because I ate a few tomatoes?  

Turns out he also pretended to think my "Family Dog" movie was funny... and he pretended to think The ABZ book was hilarious.  (all pre-requisites for someone I was going to date)

But we're still together - and I learned that if I pretended to like veggies long enough that I could keep them down without barfing.  I've learned that I can actually like hiking and camping...  and he's learned to appreciate a little bit of twisted humor...  and once in awhile I can actually get him to play a card game with me... if I beg enough and promise a good enough reward to the winner :)

11 comments:

K said...

It's funny how we become more aware of our little habits, our quirks, and our preferences in the little things when we are in a relationship. In the last six years since I've known my husband, we've definitely blended our likes/dislikes more, or at least we now understand them a lot better.

When we first started dating I had to ride on a "tilt-o-whirl" at an amusement park to prove to him that yes, I do get motion sickness from rollercoaster type rides. On the flip side, he had to show me that eating meat and potatoes wasn't so bad after all.

But we still have our own personal preferences for many things, and now we're having fun watching our daughter chose what she prefers!

valerie said...

lol. When we were first married I made Beef stroganoff once a week for probably 6 months. Finally he told me that he hates beef stroganoff. At first I felt terrible and then I was like, served you right for waiting so long to tell me! lol

Susan said...

Cute post and funny comments above! I'll never forget I thought my husband didn't eat like a "normal" guy the first couple times. Turns out (thank the lord) he can knock back a bunch of burgers or steaks in one sitting, but he just didn't want to get anything stuck in those beautiful white teeth of his!

So cute.

Now we knock back a bunch of steaks or burgers together as we wash em down with a 6 pack. Thank goodness for honesty and comfort!

TisforTonya said...

Kimberly - I think I might have drawn the line at making myself ill... thank goodness hub has never asked me to "prove" that I'm allergic to canteloupe! Wait, don't give him any ideas... I'll keep an eye out for a sudden increase in my life insurance policy!

Valerie - I'd forgotten about the phase of the marriage where he'd eat things just to make me feel good. of course he never ate something for 6 MONTHS to make me feel good - you've got a keeper :)

Susan - I kept thinking my man would eventually start eating like a real man too... unfortunately it turns out that I can easily out-eat him... not that I SHOULD, but I could...

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

See my problem is I'm like an open book... so I can't keep anything a secret when it comes to myself. So I didn't really have that problem.

But he did eat my spaghetti a lot... until one day I found out it's not his favorite... and I was making it like ONCE a week!

Poor guy...

Cajoh said...

I think my wife and I tend to want to tell all. I am the kind of person who is very open and we shared a lot of things together when getting to know each other. Of course we both were older and didn't feel the need to try and hide anything either since it winds up burning you in the end.

As for likes and dislikes, we have found that there are a lot of things that we like together and those things either didn't like didn't hurt the relationship.

Thank you for sharing,

The Blonde Duck said...

I think the fact you were able to down a veggie-loaded sub proves it was love!

Kritta22 said...

LOL good enough reward!!

The only way my hubby will play card with me is if it's strip!

LOL

I don't think it's bad. I think the first few is all about appearances anyway.

Does he still buy you sandwiches with veggies on it?

TisforTonya said...

now I make sure to be the one dropping by Subway!

Of course, now I have them toss on the tomatoes of my own free will... I'm so MATURE aren't I? but I skip the olives and all that stuff that only tastes good on a pizza!

DGB said...

But do you still listen to Toad?

(Great post)

TisforTonya said...

heck YEAH we still listen to Toad... actually caught another Toad concert 10 years later...

but that's a post in and of itself...

WE BELONG